Quick Link: Apply Now for 2021 programs
(Note: only the parent/legal guardian may initiate the registration-- students may not register themselves
INDIVIDUAL EVENTS MAIN SESSION
(June 24 - July 8, 2021)
For the base tuition price, students will focus on one event. The faculty is experienced in all speech events, and as such, students may choose to study any of the following:
- Dramatic or Humorous Interp
- Extemporaneous (students will self-select for domestic or international focus, or may switch by day)
- Original Oratory or Informative Speaking
- Dramatic Duo (both students must attend)
- Prose, POI, or Poetry Interp
- Student Congress
- Other (please let us know if you wish to study an event not listed)
Additional events based on regional requirements may be added to suit an individual student's needs. Daily, students will engage in lectures on their specific areas, roundtable discussion sessions on topics, selections, question analysis, news and information, and individual appointments with faculty members as well as lab assistants.
For a minimal additional charge, students may choose two events in the major-minor program. Each student enrolling in the major-minor program must decide which two events s/he wishes to study, understanding that the event chosen for major study will be competition-ready when leaving the institute, and the event chosen for minor study will be researched, cut, analyzed and compiled, but perhaps not quite ready for competition. Available minor program events include:
- Extemporaneous Speaking 2 (for extempers who wish to focus on BOTH Domestic and International Extemp and for Interp/Congress/Oratory students who wish to study extemp as a second event)
- Oratory or Informative (curriculum & research only—due to time constraints, students will not write speeches in the minor program)
- Dramatic or Humorous Interp
- Prose or Poetry Interp
- Dramatic Duo (both students must attend and enroll in the major/minor program)
- Impromptu Speaking
NOTE: POI is not available as a minor event.
LANNY AND B. J. NAEGELIN TUTORIAL EXTENSION IN INDIVIDUAL EVENTS:
(June 24 - July 11, 2021)
What exactly is the Tutorial Extension? 3 intensive days with nothing but individualized work sessions with senior staff from across the UTNIF Individual Events family of instructors. This program is for students who are serious about getting as much instruction as they possibly can out of the UTNIF, with opportunities to work in one-on-one settings with staff from across the spectrum specializing in event areas along with surprise guests not available during the main session.
Named in honor and loving memory of two of our UTNIF co-founders, Lanny and B.J. Naegelin, the Tutorial Extension has become one of the most popular add-ons of the UT Summer Institute. This special tutorial session provides focused, one-to-one attention for those students seeking the ultimate in preparedness for the upcoming forensics season. The Extension is only available to students who have completed the Individual Events Main Session, and was founded at the request of UTNIF students who wanted to continue their training with intensive one-on-one work sessions with UTNIF faculty. The Tutorial is usually a complete sell-out, so make your plans early!
The extension is absolutely limited to participants of the UTNIF Main Session. This session is not available for registration as a stand-alone. Typical days, for students, include 5-7 individual sessions from between 30-60 minutes each plus limited group/lab work.