Meet Jennifer Porras
What do you currently do at UT?
- “CMS Graduate Program Coordinator
When did you decide you wanted to work/get a degree in Communication?
- “I started my career in Moody as an undergraduate advisor. The Moody family has been so great to work with all these years and in my new role working with graduate students, I've been able to maintain my professional relationships with everyone.”
What’s one of the most memorable things that happened during your Undergraduate Years?
- “I'm a first-generation college student, so my sister and I are the first to go to college. We were able to finish our degrees at the exact time and we had two graduations in order. It was a thrill and joy for us to have our family there to celebrate both of our achievements.”
What’s one of the most memorable things that happened during your Graduate Years?
- “Working on my comp exams was such a challenging time. You prepare and work hard to figure out how you'll be able to manage it. There is doubt that comes along as well as fear, then you get to the point where you just go into it and give it your all. When you finish it's like you can't believe you got that far. It's a really satisfying moment!”
What are you proudest of?
- “My parents. Both came from humble beginnings and worked hard to provide a beautiful life for me and my sisters.”
What is a fun fact about you that most people here don’t know?
- “I love telling people about my paternal grandmothers - my grandmother was born in 1899 and lived to be 105. My GREAT grandmother (her mom) lived to be 115. They were both Tarahumara natives from Chihuahua.”
Jenn Porras and Jennifer Betancourt at NCA 2022
What is your favorite Austin restaurant or eating place?
- “SO many but one is Quality Seafood - the food, the happy hour, the vibe is so laid back Austin.”
If you were stranded on an island, what three things would you bring?
- “Books! Movies! Music!”
What movie genre is your favorite?
- “Horror films..... they can be terrifying or fun”
If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- “Ability to FLY!”
If you could go back in time, what’s one piece of advice you would give to yourself?
- “Stop worrying about everything......Things can and WILL work out.”
Where would you love to travel to next?
- “London! Beatles fan over here”