Communication Studies Department Honors Program
High-achieving Communication Studies majors have an opportunity to work closely with a CMS faculty member on an undergraduate thesis project during their final two semesters at UT-Austin. Applications are not considered prior to a student’s final year. Approved students will enroll in CMS 359H and CMS 379H during their last two semesters.
- 90 hours completed
- 60 hours of completed coursework in residence at UT-Austin
- A University GPA of 3.00 or better
- A Communication Studies GPA of 3.50 or better
Student should talk to their CMS academic advisor to verify whether they are eligible to apply to the Honors Program. If a student is found to be eligible, they must then:
- Find a CMS faculty member (full professors only, no assistant instructors may oversee an honors thesis) to oversee the project for two semesters.
- Complete the Honors Program application (available from a CMS academic advisor).
- Turn in the completed application to their academic advisor for final approvals.
If a project is approved, students must:
- Get clearance to enroll in CMS 359H and 379H from their advisor each semester
- Earn a B or better in each of the courses
- Submit all completed work to their academic advisor at the end of each semester