UT Speech Team Places 3rd Overall in AFA National Individual Events Tournament
Junior Christy Liu wins UT's 34th Individual National Championship
Congratulations to the following UT students on their national accomplishments at this most prestigious event:
- Junior Christy Liu won the AFA National Championship in Informative Speaking, the 34th time a UT student has been awarded a national title since 1990.
- Junior William Igbokwe was elected the National Student Representative to the AFA-NIET along with Illinois State’s Ryan Cashman. William succeeds outgoing UT Senior Caleb Graves, who has done a marvelous job in that role throughout the last year.
- Senior Brendan Chan was elected to the AFA-NIET All-American Team.
- Four UT students placed in the top 20 Overall Speaker Awards—and 3 of them were involved in a four-way tie-breaker at 78 points.
- Junior Kyle Akerman placed 20th
- Sophomore Kevin Giffin placed 19th
- Senior Brendan Chan placed 18th
- Junior Christy Liu placed 16th
National Quarter-Finalists (Top 24 nationally)
- William Igbokwe, Impromptu
- Rahul Sangal, Impromptu, Extemporaneous Speaking, Persuasion
- Joseph Muller & Jeremy Vandermause, Duo Interp
- Jaime Garcia, Extemporaneous Speaking
- Kevin Chiu, Extemporaneous Speaking
- Melissa Lamb, Prose Interpretation
- Colin Malinak, Program Oral Interpretation
- Brendan Chan, After Dinner Speaking
- Matthew King, After Dinner Speaking
National Semi-Finalists (Top 12 nationally)
- Caleb Graves, Informative Speaking
- Kevin Giffin, Program Oral Interpretation, Poetry
- Kyle Akerman, After Dinner Speaking
- William Igbokwe, After Dinner Speaking
- Christy Liu, National Champion – Informative Speaking
- Brendan Chan, 2nd place – Informative Speaking
- Christy Liu, 2nd place – Communication Analysis
- Nathan Rarick, 3rd place – Prose Interpretation
- Kyle Akerman, 3rd place – Persuasive Speaking
- Brendan Chan & Kevin Giffin, 6th place – Duo Interpretation